None of us want to be ill over Christmas but the combination of too much stress and the nature of the season can leave many of us succumbing to the germs. So bring out your oils, many essential oils offer you some amazing immune support, calm your stress and improve your sleep, three significant factors in staying well.
doTERRA’s blend OnGuard offers our systems incredible support, with a blend of Clove, Cinnamon, Wild Orange, Eucalyptus and Rosemary it also fills your home with the warm spices of Christmas.
- Load up your diffuser with 4 or 5 drops off OnGuard and run daily.
- Blend 20 – 30 drops with a carrier oil in a 10ml rollerball and apply to your throat area or the bottom of your feet.
- Or maybe like me you enjoy a drop in your hot chocolate, suitable for doTERRA oils only.
Manage your stress levels with citrus oils such as Bergamot and Wild Orange, they have the ability to both calm and soothe your stress whilst energising and uplifting your mood. Or if you prefer the grounding properties of the tree oils try Cedarwood, Siberian Fir or doTERRA’s bland Balance.
- Add a few drops to your diffuser
- Blend 20 -30 drops with a carrier oil in a 10ml rollerball and apply to the back of your neck and pulse points – wrist, behind the ears, temple area. Wood and citrus oils blend together well so why not experiment.
- Enjoy a drop of Wild Orange in your hand as you settle for sleep and as you rise in the morning. This will set a positive intention to both your sleep and your day.
Take some time out for you.
‘I don’t have time for that’ I hear you say, well maybe that is where you would be wrong. Things to try;
- Make a list of all the things buzzing around in your head, this allows you to switch off your mind and step out of the stress, even if it’s just 15 minutes.
- Take a drop of your Wild Orange, or whatever your favourite relaxing oil might be, place a drop in your hand, rub and cup around your face, breath deeply 4 or 5 times.
- Count 4 as you breath in through your nose and 7 as you breath out through your mouth. Maybe do this before you go for a walk, do some relaxing yoga moves or whilst running yourself a bath.
- Or if you prefer book yourself in for a treatment – a massage, reflexology, a facial, a manicure.
Taking that time to allow your brain to relax will make you more effective when you pick up that list again. Whether that is heading to the shops, finishing that present wrapping or getting an important work document finished. Have a read of my previous blog 6 Ways to Improve Your Stress
Choose Lavender to help support a better nights sleep or maybe you might prefer the doTERRA blend, Serenity. Lavender has a mix of sedative, relaxing, soothing and nervine properties that will help support a calmer you, allowing you to enjoy a better nights sleep.
- Apply a drop to the bottom of each toe to reduce your brain activity
- Add a few drops to your diffuser and run before and after you fall asleep.
- Add a drop to a hankie or nightclothes to support a better nights sleep for a child
- Apply a drop to your wrist area and enjoy the aroma as you drift off into a calmer sleep.
Regular use of the oils will help the brain to recognise the fragrance and encourage faster responses to managing your stress and sleep.
How about getting creative and using your essential oils to create gifts and decorations for a more natural Christmas.
A great recipe to create that relaxing environment or for soothing those tired muscles. Make and enjoy yourself or place in a pretty jar and give as a gift.
Don’t like baths! Well it works as a foot soak on those tired feet.
2 cups Himalayan Pink salts (or Epsom salts if you prefer)
1 tsp Fractionated Coconut Oil
15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
Add essential oils into coconut oil then mix thoroughly into the salts
Store in airtight container
Add 1/2 a cup into warm bath water whilst running.
Soak for 20-30 minutes to ease aches and pains
If you are giving it as a gift, why not add some colouring and layer 2 or 3 different colours throughout the jar or maybe add some dried lavender. Why not experiment with your favourite oils to find a recipe you love.
Create white, essential oil scented decorations. Add them to presents, hang them on your tree or add to a garland.
1 cup Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup Cornflour
1/2 cup water
10 – 15 drops of essential oil, Wild Orange, Cassia, OnGuard, Siberian Fir something warm and christmassy.
Add all the ingredients except your oils to a pan.
Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring continuously
Once thickened and dough like remove from heat.
Add in oils plus colouring or glitter if desired.
Roll out and cut with shaped cookie cutters, add a hole with a skewer.
Once dry add string or ribbon to suit.
Create some orange slices to combine with your white decorations and use as decoration on your presents, add to a garland or hand on the Christmas tree.
You will need several oranges, but not clementines or satsumas.
Slice your oranges into 1 cm strips, cut them crossways so you get the pretty segmented look. Discard the ends.
Blot any excess juice onto a paper towel or tea towel.
Place the slices onto a wire rack.
Place in your oven at 90 degrees centigrade for 3 hours, turning once.
Allow to dry overnight.
Thread with some string or ribbon.
Add a drop of essential oil, replenish as required.
Choosing natural products and fragrances this Christmas will not only make your homes smell amazing but it brings with it so many more therapeutic values to your well-being as well. So why not choose to be more proactive in your well-being and loose the synthetic candles and fragrances for a healthier, happier Christmas and New Year. If you would like to learn more about using essential oils to support better well-being come and join my Facebook community, the Holistic Well-being Hub.